This is what Levi calls ‘Ital‘ – the Rasta term for food that’s good, natural and pure – Suitable for vegans!
Grill the tomatoes in the kitchen beforehand and eat these as a starter while the barbecue heats up. Or cook them over
the coals and enjoy them with the rest of the meal. You can even eat them for a really healthy breakfast.
– 2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
– Scotch Bonnet, or other hot red chilli, seeded and finely chopped, plus extra for sprinkling
– 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves, plus extra for sprinkling
– 2 ripe beefsteak tomatoes
– 6 thick slices of Kingsmill tasty wholemeal bread
– garlic clove
Mix together the oil, chilli and thyme. Cut each tomato into 4 thick slices and brush with the
seasoned oil. Grill or barbecue the tomato slices on both sides until lightly browned and nice and
juicy. Take off the heat and set aside.
Meanwhile, barbecue both sides of the bread. Rub the cooked side of the bread with the cut side
of the garlic and drizzle over some oil. Firmly press a tomato slice onto each piece of bread so that
it lies flat. Sprinkle with chilli and thyme. Serve hot or warm.
Levi’s Five Recipes for a Fiver are based on recipes from Levi Roots’ new cookbook, Grill It With Levi, published by Ebury Press, price £18.99.